Senior Backend Engineering Manager – Waltham, MA
Zixi is actively seeking a Senior Backend Engineering Manager to join our engineering team that develops the ZEN Master cloud SaaS product. ZEN Master is known in the industry as a highly reliable and feature rich cloud-based enterprise-grade system designed for deployment, management and monitoring of large video distribution networks across the globe. ZEN Master is used by customers across many verticals including NBCU and Bloomberg in media, NHL in professional live sports, Blizzard and Electronics Arts in gaming, and even live hologram transmission from PORTL.
The ideal candidate will have strong technical and analytical skills and will be able to lead frequent meetings with Zixi’s VIP customers and partners. To apply, please send resume, compensation requirement, and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
COVID-19 details and location
The ZEN Master team is based at the Zixi headquarters is in Waltham, MA. As an engineering manager this role is based at the Zixi headquarters. However, the development team members you bring into Zixi may be either local or remote.
We are currently working from home and you would need to be able to work from home when necessary, but the office is available as well to vaccinated employees. The ZEN Master team currently meets near the office once a week for a team lunch and ideally you would be able to join. After COVID-19 has subsided, being able to work from the Zixi office in Waltham a couple days per week with the rest of the team would be ideal and working every day from the office is possible, if desired.
In this role you will initially focus on development of the ZEN Master backend to build key new functionality and to gain expertise on the backend architecture and design. With your engineering management skills, you will grow the team with additional backend and machine learning developers. As the team grows, your responsibilities will shift from individual development to managing and mentoring the team and optimizing software development methodologies while still being hands on where possible.
Skills and knowledge you should possess
- 8+ years full time as a Backend or Full-Stack Engineer with more focus on backend
- Experience leading a small development team, both locally and remotely
- Experience developing with node.js backend and Typescript
- Experience with database services such as Amazon RDS, DynamoDB/MySQL, Elasticsearch or comparable databases on GCP or Azure
- Experience with AWS API and Services such as EC2, S3, Lambda, SQS/SNS, API Gateway or comparable services on GCP or Azure
- Experience developing, maintaining, testing, and documenting REST APIs
- Ability to write high-quality code in a timely fashion
- Ability to work in and handle the challenges of a fast-paced, customer driven environment
- Competency with Linux, networking, and general network management concepts
Other helpful skills and knowledge
- Experience working with video/audio processing and/or transmission
- Experience in the development of websocket-based APIs
- Experience in using project management tools such as Jira
- Experience developing software for a SaaS platform/product
- Experience with machine learning concepts, technologies, or development platforms
Zixi provides a cloud based and on-premise software platform that enables reliable broadcast-quality video delivery over IP. The company offers the Zixi Platform for broadcasters, enterprises, over-the-top video providers, and mobile service providers around the world. The Zixi Platform makes it easy and economical for media companies to source, manage, localize, and distribute live events and 24/7 live linear channels in broadcast QoS, securely and at scale, using any form of IP network or Hybrid IP environments. Zixi provides enhanced control in large complex networks with ZEN Master, a live video orchestration and telemetry control plane that provides visual tools to configure, orchestrate, and monitor live broadcast channels and events across industry protocols. Over 10+ years, the Zixi Enabled Network (ZEN) has grown to over 100 OEM and service providers and serves well over 500 customers representing most of the top media brands around the world with 10,000+ channels delivered daily. www.zixi.com